Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Are We There Yet?

Not quite.

I was originally scheduled to finish radiation today, but after a peek at my chest, Dr. W decided to push trough to Friday. He'll be narrowing the focus 'til the end though, concentrating on the center of my breast and letting my crispy armpit take a rest. Things should continue to deteriorate for about a week after treatments end, and then start slowly getting better.

I'll be happy to give my skin a break, but it'll be weird, this new phase. I'll be meeting with Dr. So on Friday to start planning that, so I'm not really sure what it will be like yet. But I'm really going to miss the radiation center. I am constantly in awe of how the nurses, techs, and everyone do what they do. Some of their patients really struggle, and not all make it, but every one who works there has the most amazing positive attitude. They remember little details about us and tell us stories that reminded us of them. A, is the the very funny tech who did my tattoos. We have a nice rapport and I scolded him one day for calling me 'Rockstar' in front of the other patients. 'oh' he said, 'everyone has a special nickname.' It's true. The short great-grandmother who doesn't like waiting in a hospital gown, so she just doesn't, is 'Beauty Queen'.

Then there are the patients. I'm too shy to have gotten to know any of them well and now I see what a missed opportunity that was. I spoke to the Beauty Queen last week when I realized that we'd actually met in January at the symphony. Her great-grandson is one of the happiest babies I've seen. Then today, the husband of the woman who goes after me mentioned that he'd overheard that conversation. Turns out they've got tickets to the symphony on Sunday and wondered if I'd like them. His wife is in a wheelchair, doing radiation and chemo, and not feeling up to it. I accepted gratefully and then tried not to cry in the changing room. They're obviously dealing with so much and still thinking of ways to bring happiness to others. It breaks my heart and fills it up all at the same time.

1 comment:

Barb said...

Jessica, you are definitely a rock star! I don't ever get to talk to you and rarely see Mark at work these days, but you are continually in my prayers. I know that you and Mark have so many friends and family that support you and that I am just on the periphery. If you ever need anything or just want to talk, I will always be here for you. I don't want to pry into your personal business, that is the reason I am not more aggressive. Just know that you have friends all over the place and if you are in need of a new one, you know where to go.